My main research interest is in navigation, motion planning and control of autonomous mobile robots, with a special emphasis in multi-robot systems and robots that interact with other robots and humans. We contribute novel methods and solutions in the areas of collision avoidance, motion planning, formation control, vehicle routing, task assignment, aerial videography and human-swarm interaction.
Building towards the smart cities of the future, we apply these techniques in various fields, including autonomous cars, automated factories, aerial vehicles and intelligent transportation systems.
- 07.2017: One opening for a PhD student in our group, to work on multi-robot coordination and navigation of autonomous boats and cars in urban environments. Applicants should send me their CV, transcript, motivation letter and 2-3 references [More details - PDF].
- 07.2017: I've been
awarded a NWO Talent Scheme VENI grant by the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO)!! I will work on safe and socially intuitive navigation for mobile robots (intelligent cars and boats). The Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Metropolitan Solutions
is a partner in this project.
- 07.2017: Journal accepted in IJRR! Multi-robot formation control and object transport. Now online:
- 07.2017: Journal accepted in Autonomous Robots! Mission and motion planning with deadlock resolution.
- 07.2017: Two papers accepted at IROS! Predictive routing for autonomous mobility-on-demand systems (ride-sharing)
and Robust collision avoidance for Micro Air Vehicles
- 07.2017: Visibility-aware motion planning for intelligent vehicles accepted at ITSC.
- 07.2017: Paper on Intelligent vehicle + MAV cooperative sensing accepted at FSR.
- 04.2017: Paper on multi-view drone cinematography accepted for publication at ACM SIGGRAPH!
- 03.2017: A framework for parallel autonomy, accepted at IEEE Conf. Intelligent Vehicles.
- 02.2017: I am co-organizing a Workshop on Multi-Robot Systems at IEEE ICRA 2017. The call for contributions is open until March 31st!
- 01.2017: Journal paper on aerial videography accepted for publication at IEEE Robotics & Automation Letters (RA-L) with presentation at IEEE ICRA.
- 01.2017: Two papers, one on real-time planning for shared control of intelligent vehicles
and one on Duckietown
accepted for publication at IEEE ICRA.
- 12.2016: Journal paper on high-capacity ride-sharing accepted for publication at Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA (PNAS), one of the most prestigious multidisciplinary journals. For media coverage see MIT news and CSAIL news.
On-demand High-capacity Ride-sharing
Formation Control and Manipulation
Trajectory Generation for Aerial Videography
Trajectory Generation for Automated Cars
Pixelbots: A Display Formed by Mobile Pixels
Collision Avoidance for Aerial vehicles
Human-Swarm Interaction (Interactive Display)
Reciprocal Collision Avoidance NH-ORCA
During my time at MIT I was involved in the following projects:
- Parallel autonomy and autonomous cars, CSAIL-Toyota joint research effort.
- SMart Adaptive Reliable Teams for Persistent Surveillance SMARTS.
- Mobile robots on the factory floor, funded by The Boeing Company.
- Future Urban Mobility, Singapore MIT Aliance for Research and Technology SMART.
I am an Assistant Professor at the Delft University of Technology. Until October 2016 I was a Postdoctoral Associate at the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Lab CSAIL of MIT, working in the Distributed Robotics Lab. I received my Ph.D. degree in robotics from ETH Zurich, working in the Autonomous Systems Lab.
I hold a Diploma in Engineering and a Diploma in Mathematics from the
Technical University of Barcelona.
I was also a member of Disney Research Zurich.
I am the recipient of a best video award at IEEE/ACM HRI 2014, a nomination for best student paper award at DARS 2010, a postgraduate scholarship from the Swiss Government and silver medals in the Spanish Physics and Mathematics Olympiads.
Dr. Javier Alonso-Mora, Assistant Professor
Cognitive Robotics (formerly in the Delft Center for Systems and Control)
Delft University of Technology
Mekelweg 2, Room C-2-310, 2628 CD Delft, Netherlands
Phone: +31 152 785 489; Fax: +31 152 786 679
Alternative email: javier.alonsomora(at)gmail.com